Monday, May 5, 2014
Oven Crisp Brussel Sprouts…Recipe
If you want to reduce olive oil, use a mister and re-apply as needed. You may cook to the “crispy” stage like above or stop when they are tender. The brown is fully caramelized. Make ½ and ½, see which you like better!
Recipe makes approximately Six - 5 ounce servings. Based on the olive oil noted below, it would be about 90 calories per 5 ounces….of which you will love every bite! I can eat a whole plate of these as my entire meal.
2 lb. Brussels Sprouts
4 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. kosher salt
3/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
More salt and pepper as needed
Variation: Add 6 Sliced Fresh Garlic Cloves-make sure they are coated with olive oil to prevent burning.
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Cut off the bottom ends of the Brussels sprouts and discard. Cut the remaining part in half and place into a large bowl.
3. Drizzle with olive oil (OR USE MISTER), salt, pepper and garlic if using and toss. Spread this mixture onto a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. (Paper is to speed cleanup)
4. Place the baking sheet into the oven and roast for 40 minutes. Remove the baking sheet every 15 minutes while roasting and give the Brussels Sprouts a good toss to make sure they are evenly roasting and browning.
5. 10 minutes before they are done squeeze an entire lemon on top of the vegetables. If you have an extra lemon, cut into slices as shown and toss on for the finish!
6. Once the edges are crisp and brown, remove the baking sheet from the oven. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Serve immediately, or bring it to my house!
NOTE: You can take them out BEFORE they caramelize and are tender. Try them both ways- remove ½ at the tender point and cook the rest to crispy…you can decide which one wins your taste test!
AGA Cooker: In an AGA cooker, use the middle of the roasting oven and cut total time to 25 minutes.